Nurseries, daycare centers, and pre-schools can no longer ignore the benefits of using technology inside and outside of the classroom.
The traditional methods of teaching and storing documents waste money and most importantly time.
The quality of the teaching and the communication with the parents and other role players are lost if the focus is on paperwork instead of providing fun learning opportunities to young children.
If we look at the job descriptions of teachers and managers within the childcare industry very few industries require the amount of paperwork and adherence to regulations as the childcare industry.
The requirements range from Governmental guidance to keeping the parents happy and feeling part of their children’s learning journey every day.
The amount of paperwork these requirements demand from management and teachers is robbing the children of quality time and interaction with their teachers.
Specialized childcare software is still relatively new to the industry, but if educators and other role players in the sector are realistic this is one of the most important changes that need to modernize the sector – not only changes to the way that they teach children.
The childcare industry has one of the lowest engagement percentages in the use of effective technology to improve quality provision to their clients.
The childcare sector can benefit from specialized software to cut down on operational costs, and adhere to regulatory requirements by using technology to ease administrative tasks such as billing and invoicing, managing staff and staff ratios, monitoring and observing child development according to frameworks, etc.
This will allow teachers and managers to teach and not push around papers.
Connectivity is vitally important in the era we are living in, why not use specialized software to connect and involve parents in their child’s learning, get permission from them, and inform them about events and happenings in your setting?
The possibilities to effectively use technology in this sector are endless, specialized software can help managers and teachers to develop and connect with other professionals to monitor their work and their own professional development.
I think it’s time that we look at alternatives to how we can provide better learning and development not only for the children in our care but the staff and people working in the sector – how can the sector grow and keep up with the modern era if we don’t?
Benefits of specialized software for the industry include:
- Efficient and better workflow within the setting.
- Improved Learning and Development for the children in the setting.
- Monitoring and evaluating the Learning and Development of the children in the setting.
- Improved communication and effective connectivity with families.
The next question is… How do you choose the best-specialized software for your setting?
You need to start by asking and answering why do you need specialized software?
- The software needs to “take over” some functions.
- The software needs to complement your current system.
- The software must make your setting more efficient.
- The software must add quality outcomes and help you manage your staff, engage your parents, and be shaped around the client – the children in your setting.
The features must include the following:
- Be compatible and be able to function on multiple devices.
- Provide a sign-in and sign-out function to staff and children.
- Provide online document accessibility and storage.
- Provide around-the-clock connectivity.
- Provide a customized parent or family portal.
- Provide billing and invoicing.
- Provide a link with Governmental Early Learning Frameworks.
- Size of the server storage and size of server storage.
- Monthly versus annual fees.
One of the key points to remember is that if you choose well, the childcare management software will pay for itself in time and operational or administrative costs. Another key point is to familiarize yourself with the technical service and support the company will offer you, your staff, and parents using the software.
Do your homework and determine your needs before you start to look for a software solution.
Parent ApS is a world-class childcare management solution, designed exclusively for busy childcare professionals and specialists in early childhood education.
Parent ApS works (and looks) like a dream, fusing cutting-edge software with ease of uploading, efficient communication systems, an intuitive design, and so much more.
Magdelize Janse van Vuuren
Early Childhood Specialist and Management Consultant